Back to All News

Greens want more awareness for lithium battery dangers

The Greens have welcomed the ACCC’s plan to raise awareness on the dangers of lithium batteries.

 “Five children are taken to emergency wards around the country every week after swallowing lithium batteries, and we welcome any action taken to raise awareness and prevent further disasters,” Greens Consumer Affairs spokesperson Senator Sarah Hanson-Young said. 

“Parents need to be aware of this danger in every Australian household and the fact that these tiny batteries can fall into tiny hands.

 “Lithium batteries are not only found in general household items like remotes, bathroom scales and reading lights, but they are literally put into the hands of children in the form of singing birthday cards and interactive books.

 “Like many small objects commonly found around the home, button-sized lithium batteries are small enough to be swallowed by children and injuries can be quite severe. As we have heartbreakingly been reminded this week, swallowing a lithium battery can lead to death.

 “In a matter of hours after swallowing a battery, tragedy can strike and the last thing we want to see is more children injured or killed by this everyday item.”

 

Media contact: Noah Schultz-Byard 0427 604 760

Back to All News